8951 Collin McKinney Parkway, #1401,
McKinney, TX 75070

Call Us Today



McKinney Child Custody Modification Attorney

Frisco Child Custody Modification Lawyer Serving Collin County

A final divorce decree or child custody order may feel like an ending point. While this is the beginning of life after a divorce or separation, families continue to change, even after a final order is in place. Some of those changes may result in one party filing a motion or petition to modify custody. While custody modifications can be resolved by agreement, it's wise to involve a lawyer.

At The Ramage Law Group, we can help you pursue changing a custody agreement or defending the current arrangement. We can also help you modify child support to reflect the new custody arrangement. With combined experience totaling more than 50 years, our family law attorneys can provide the information, guidance, and advocacy that you need to seek or stop a proposed change.

What Are Some Grounds for Child Custody Modifications?

Texas law allows modification of child custody orders when there is a material and substantial change in circumstances from the original order or agreement. Whether a change is "material and substantial" depends on a lot of factors. Here are some examples that may be grounds for a modification:

  • The children or parents have a new disability or medical condition
  • There's a change in the child's preferences (if they're at least 12 years old)
  • There is a job change or other circumstance that requires relocation
  • One parent is moving out of state
  • One parent is alienating the children from the other parent
  • The custodial parent moves without notice
  • There has been abuse or neglect of the children

In some cases, there may be grounds to pursue an emergency change of custody. Changing primary custody from mother to father, for example, might be appropriate if there is abuse or neglect.

No matter the grounds for the proposed change, the best interests of your children will remain the key consideration in child custody modifications.

Find the Help You Need Today

For more information on post-decree changes regarding custody, call the McKinney office of The Ramage Law Group at 972-562-9890. You can also contact us online with this form to reach an experienced modification lawyer.

Elite Lawyer 10 Best attorneys top 10 female attorney fastest growing firm 2023 top 10 family law firm expertise Super Lawyers 2023 State Bar of Texas

Finding The Right Attorney Matters. Contact Us Today.

A family lawyer does much more than simply provide legal answers. Our lawyers explore a variety of different solutions to help you achieve your goals and secure your family's financial and emotional future and stability.

To discuss your case or set up a consultation, call us at 972-562-9890 or use the online contact form.

Back to Top