8951 Collin McKinney Parkway, #1401,
McKinney, TX 75070

Call Us Today


Texas Special Education Lawyer

Special Education Attorney Serving Families Throughout the State of Texas

If you are a parent of a child with a disability, you probably have a lot on your plate. Providing the daily care required to meet your child’s needs can be a full-time job on its own. However, in addition to meeting your child’s personal needs, you will also want to make sure they receive the proper education and will be able to pursue opportunities as they get closer to adulthood. This means that you need to address issues related to special education so theycan participate in school with their peers and receive supports and services to help them succeed.

The first thing you should understand is that both federal and state law provide your child and family with important educational and procedural rights. As is true for anyone else, your child has the right to a free and appropriate public education, and the teaching and services provided by a school must be tailored to address any unique needs related to their disabilities. When your child has a disability, they may be entitled to special education services through an Individualized Education Program (IEP) at no cost to you.

Unfortunately, schools do not always observe those rights or comply with the law. If your child has been denied the services they deserve, or if you feel that you have no voice in the development of your child's educational program, you may be feeling helpless, and you may not know where to turn for help. By securing legal representation from an attorney or advocate who understands your child's disability and educational needs, you can take steps to protect your child's right to a free, appropriate public education.

At The Ramage Law Group, our special education law attorneys, advocates, and our firm's founder, Sharon Ramage, have decades of experience in this niche area. Ms. Ramage spent over a decade as a special education hearing officer and mediator with the Texas Education Agency, and she has served on the faculty of national professional associations for administrative law judges, as well as state and local continuing education programs, lecturing on special education law topics. Ms. Ramage and her team apply this in-depth knowledge and insight to the benefit of clients across Texas.

Understanding Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)

Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, students with disabilities have the right to an individualized education program (IEP). An IEP is essentially a road map that will detail a child’s unique educational needs and outline the services that will be provided to address those needs. Obtaining an appropriate IEP that is customized to your child’s situation is essential for getting your child the education they deserve. Ms. Ramage can help you secure and enforce an appropriate IEP for your child.

Who Qualifies for an IEP?

Your child may be eligible for special education if they have a disability that could potentially affect them academically, their behavior in the classroom, their functional skills, or other aspects of their education. Eligibility is the starting point, and schools may not always take the necessary steps to assess children with disabilities and provide them with the proper services, accommodations, or placement. As a parent, you may encounter “red tape,” and you may be unsure about how to navigate bureaucratic procedures while worrying that your child could be left behind if their needs are not properly addressed.

If you feel that your child's school has wrongfully determined that they are ineligible for special education services, or if you have encountered obstacles to implementing an IEP due to an uncooperative school district, The Ramage Law Group can help. Our attorneys are not strangers to the complex issues that can arise in these cases. We understand the best ways to enforce your child’s rights and ensure that your family is treated fairly. Our firm can serve as a strong and effective advocate for your child, and we will fight to provide them with every opportunity for success in their education.

What Do You Do When Your Child Is Continuing to Struggle or Your Concerns Are Not Heard?

There are several options you may pursue with a school district to address your child’s special education needs. First, your child’s program is developed in an Admissions, Review & Dismissal (ARD) Committee meeting. Our attorneys and advocates can accompany you to your ARD meeting or consult with you as a guide in the process. Or, perhaps you have exhausted all efforts at resolving your issue with the ARD Committee. The law provides parents and students with legal protections and a process for resolving disputes through mediation or a due process hearing (very similar to a court proceeding). At The Ramage Law Group, our team can assist you as you navigate this process. You do not have to handle these issues alone!

Discuss Your Special Education Concerns With a Trusted Advocate

At The Ramage Law Group, you can work with a lawyer or advocate who is dedicated to fighting for your child and ensuring that they receive the education they deserve. Whether you need to address issues related to eligibility for special education, your child's educational program, or an appropriate placement, The Ramage Law Group will provide guidance on how to resolve these issues and address your child’s ongoing needs.

The Ramage Law Group works with children and families across Texas. For more information, visit our special education website, www.texasspecialeducationattorney.com, or reach out by calling 972-562-9890 or by sending an email.

Elite Lawyer 10 Best attorneys top 10 female attorney fastest growing firm 2023 top 10 family law firm expertise Super Lawyers 2023 State Bar of Texas

Finding The Right Attorney Matters. Contact Us Today.

A family lawyer does much more than simply provide legal answers. Our lawyers explore a variety of different solutions to help you achieve your goals and secure your family's financial and emotional future and stability.

To discuss your case or set up a consultation, call us at 972-562-9890 or use the online contact form.

Back to Top